Saturday, August 18, 2007

Back to School...

Next week brings the close of my summer vacation, and I'll be back at school every day. I have already been up there for a week and a half (give or take a day) setting up my new room, having meetings about upcoming school year events and changes, and just trying to get ready for the new year. If you didn't already know, Kickapoo is trying a new program for incoming Freshmen. These are 9th graders who have already been targeted as potential dropouts if something doesn't change for them. Well, that change is me and two other freshmen teachers. I will have these guys for 1st Block Reading, then I will travel with them to their Science class. I will also have them 2nd semester for English, and they will be together for Social Studies class as well. Other schools have tried similar programs and have been very successful, so we are trying it out. I am a little nervous, but I like that the class is relatively small. I think there are 20 kids registered in the program, but I'm not sure how many will show on the first day. We'll have to wait and see!

I meant to take pictures of my new room this week, but I forgot to take the camera to school. I will post pics when I can. This is my 5th move in 8 years. I DO NOT WANT TO MOVE AGAIN!! I know I will have to move when the construction is finished, but that may be a couple of years away. This is my first time having a full-size classroom of my own though. I have always had either a special ed room (former closet) or shared a bigger room with another teacher. I will miss Hayley this year, but we each get our own room! YEAH!!

Good luck to all of my teacher friends who start school this week or who have already began. Pretty soon we will be back to our Christmas vacation, Spring Break, and then summer vacation again!

2 comments:

Kodi Logan said...

have a great first week! we've gotta make sure we still get together for some girl time!

good luck with the new program. i hope it goes well for you! if anyone can pull it off, you can!

April said...

Thanks--I still want to scrapbook with you and Jennifer some time. Are we planning a fall girls' scrapping weekend? I'm all for it!! Speech/debate begins in October, so if we want to do it after that, I will need to let you know when my weekends are booked.
Talk to you soon!