Thursday, August 23, 2007

Day 1 down, 176 or so more to go

The first day of school is now behind me and I am exhausted!! I never sleep very well the night before the first day, and last night was no different. I woke up this morning nervous and excited to see all of my new students. Although I have small classes because I am teaching Reading, I can already tell they will be a handful. I think they will be fun to teach, though, because they actually interact with each other and with me. So far, so good!


I had to give my presentation on Tuesday, and you all know that I was SCARED TO DEATH!! I literally thought the audience of my peers would be able to hear my heart beating through the microphone, but I guess they couldn't. I had created a Powerpoint slideshow of facts, statistics, and just some things that a classroom teacher could do to help his/her students with reading. My presentation took just a little over an hour, and by the time I was finished, I wasn't nervous at all! Everyone was very kind, and gave me glorious reviews! I even had people saying that I need to be presenting professionally. I don't think so!! I may have been okay on Tuesday, but I don't think my heart or my stomach could handle it on a daily basis! Overall, I was very proud of myself when all was said and done. I am just so glad it's done!!


I am looking forward to this weekend. No big plans, but I want to re-read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I am beginning it tomorrow during class (during SSR time), and hopefully will continue it next week. I am also looking forward to planning my first big Reading lessons for next week. I will try to get those done tomorrow. Can you believe the projector in my room actually works? Now I can show my computer screen to the entire class! I even made up an SSR Powerpoint to show the kids tomorrow. I am moving on up!!


P.S. I had to share this picture. This one was taken two years ago during a student/faculty basketball game. I was a part of the cheerleading squad!

1 comment:

Kodi Logan said...

I have been meaning to comment on here forever! I'm glad your presentation went well. you always did a great job in school! you never looked nervous back then. i'm also glad to hear that your new kids are adjusting well. i hope it continues that way. I saw your mom at wallie world tonight! she noticed i've lost weight. she's my new favorite person for the day! :)