Thursday, November 29, 2007

A time to give thanks

I have to stop apologizing when I don't blog as often as I should, but with so much going on, I can't help it! I feel like I should be shouting to world how thankful and blessed I truly am! I do want to say thank you to everyone who kept my family and me in their thoughts and prayers during the last few weeks. It honestly feels like it has been much longer than just 3 1/2 weeks since my dad died. After the initial shock wore off, I tried to do some soul-searching. After all, he was my dad and I discovered that he loved me very much and was loved by many. His funeral service was beautiful--definitely the most moving I have ever attended. The CEO of St. Jude spoke highly of my dad, and a cousin on my stepmom's side of the family told funny stories that each of us children had written down. I had written the story about Dad trying to kill my mom and me as he about drove off the edge of the road leading up to and back down from Pike's Peak. Cliff told the story about damaging the garage door when he was 16, only to cover it up from Dad and until the day of the funeral, Dad never knew about it. During the service, we all laughed and cried, then laughed and cried some more. This is one of those moments that I can't wait to scrapbook, but I do have other priorities first--a particular Christmas present for someone special (I can't say who b/c he or she might read this!).

Because Todd and I had already planned to go back to Dad and Pat's for Thanksgiving, we did just that. Even though Dad was no longer around the house, we knew he was a part of our celebration. It was during this time that I got to know my step brothers and sisters and that side of the family a little better. I knew we were "family" in the sense that Dad had married Pat and she had grown children of her own and those children had children, and so on...but the Thanksgiving after Dad's death made us connect more than we ever had. I loved being called the "little sister" and my brother was able to be "little brother" as well. We are all still a family and will continue to be one without Dad. This is the part that surprised me the most, but I love knowing I have more family than ever!

Below are some pictures from the funeral and family photos after the graveside service:
Everyone always said that I look like my mom (I don't see it), but I had Dad's hands--big knuckles and all.
Dad loved his job at St. Jude/ALSAC more than any other job he had ever held. Anytime we saw him he was wearing something that advertised for St. Jude. It was only fitting that he was buried with his latest pin and all the men of the family wore one of his ties to the funeral.

Pat made sure, in everything that was done for Dad, that Cliff and I came first before her own children.
All of us "kids"--we felt like the Brady Bunch in the picture--3 boys and 3 girls!

This is a picture of all the kids with each spouse or significant other. Don't we all look perty??


6 comments:

Heather said...

April, as I read this I was moved to tears. You never realize how much your parents mean to you. I have not experienced the pain that you have, but you are in my prayers and have been. Your words were beautiful.

Kodi Logan said...

wow april...i was okay until i saw the photo of your hand with your father's hands. man...did you really have to do that to me? what a photo...no words needed there...it gives me chills just to think about it now.

i'm glad that everything was so nice. i'm sure your dad was very proud.

April said...

Thanks Heather and Kodi--I was okay until I read your responses. It is in times like these that you know you have to be thankful for who is in your life. Kodi--I definitely plan on calling you sometime in the near future!!! Don't hate me b/c I haven't called! Mom is taking Todd and me to see Soji Tabuchi tonight and out to eat for our anniversary. I plan on working on my "secret" project/gift all day tomorrow, and Todd and I will be out of town all next weekend to go up to KC. I promise I will talk to you soon!

Kodi Logan said...

ok. you better not be considering relocating. you have me a little worried. or are you getting an even bigger TV? you know the last time we met, it was for you to tell us about your big screen tv! :)

how about cheddars one day during the week? i'll leave em at home so we can actually visit!

April said...

It's not about a TV:) I had totally forgotten about that one!! That's funny! But you did guess it! How did you even think of "relocating"? I will tell you all about it. I am free any day next week. You pick.

Kodi Logan said...

well, if you're going to talk about moving away, do I really want to know? I just had a gut feeling that moving was the topic. let me look at what we have going on next week and i'll get back with you. sigh...i really don't want you to move already!