Tuesday, November 6, 2007

A sad night

I know this is not the post you requested Kodi, but it' s a post I have to do. I'm not sure how or why I am posting this just yet, but I wanted to get all of this down before this moment left. I found out tonight that my dad passed away last night in his sleep. Although we had our ups and downs, I still loved my dad with all my heart. I think I am still in shock, considering my sister-in-law just talked to him yesterday, and Todd and I saw him a couple of weeks ago here in town. Looking back, I thought it was strange that both my stepmom, Pat, and my sister-in-law, Terri, called me tonight. Neither one of them told me about Dad because they couldn't or didn't want to tell me over the phone, especially knowing that I was home alone while Todd was working. Todd came home around 8 pm, came straight into the living room, turned off the TV, then broke the news that my dad died last night. I think I broke down right then and there because I just couldn't believe it. Todd told me that Terri had called him at work and told him to get home to me because my Dad had died in his sleep last night and he had to be the one to tell me. Apparently, Dad was up in KC to visit some donors of St. Jude. He went to bed last night, as usual, but when Pat called him this morning, he didn't answer his cell. She called the hotel and they said he never checked out. A manager went to his hotel room to check on him and found him still in bed, head on his pillow, covered up with the blanket. No foul play...just died in his sleep. I guess that's the best way to go. I am thankful he didn't have to suffer after everything he's been through this past year. My brother, Cliff, is going over to Memphis tomorrow and is supposed to call me with news of funeral arrangements. I am playing it by ear until then. I am not going into school, even though that would definitely get my mind off of this news for a while. I know I probably wouldn't be any good tomorrow or Thursday. Luckily, we are out of school on Friday, but I was supposed to be at a speech tournament this weekend. Now those plans have changed as well. I know there is never a good time for someone to die. I guess I thought I'd just be much older when I had to deal with all of this. Are you supposed to bury your parents when you are this young? I guess only God knows His plan for each of us. I do wish Dad would have lived long enough to hold a grandchild from Todd and me, but now any future children will have to look at pictures and hear stories of their Papaw. I may have to think some more about this situation before I post again, but I would like to post a tribute blog to my dad. If nothing else, at least to get the words down so I can use them later when I include this story in my scrapbook. Thank you for all of your prayers and thoughts in the past. I know they will be just as important now. God bless!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

April Sweetie--this is Kim--I am so sorry to hear about your dad--life deals us some really devasting blows sometimes and leaves us with lots of unanswered questions---altho I am sure it is of little comfort right now, knowing he went to sleep, to me is the way to leave this world...if there is anything I can do for you let me know, I will keep you and your family in my prayers--God bless

Kodi Logan said...

Oh my April. I was stunned when I found this on your blog yesterday morning. I was sitting in class saying,"OMG, OMG, OMG." I know that there isn't anything I can say to comfort you, but just know that I am hear if you need to talk, vent, cry,whatever!!! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

April said...

I am sure I will come to you crying when the shock has worn off. I am crying even now just typing this. I have leave again tomorrow to attend a conference, but I am really looking forward to it. It will be something to take my mind off of all of this! Talk to you soon!

Kodi Logan said...

how are you? i've been waiting to hear from you.