Friday, August 1, 2008

Mamma Mia!



For my final "free" day before the school meetings begin on Monday, I treated myself to a movie--"Mamma Mia!". I have not seen the musical live on stage, so I have nothing in which to compare this movie. However, if the stage version is anything like the movie version, I HAVE to see it!! The movie was so good--great characters (powerful voices), AWESOME ABBA songs, meaningful conversations, and a lesson learned by Sophie, the daughter. When I was watching the movie by myself, I just kept thinking that I needed to see this with my Mom. This would have been the perfect mother/daughter movie, and I wish I could have spent this day with her.

One of the lessons Sophie tries to learn in the movie comes from finding out who her father really is. She desperately wants to learn his identity and thinks that by finding out who her dad is, she will then learn who she really is. Towards the end of the movie, this message began to hit me--my dad lived long enough to walk me down the aisle, see me graduate from college, but he won't be around for all of the other big stuff in my life. He won't be around to witness the birth of a future grandchild, and in turn, his future grandchildren won't know him. I don't know why, but I was really missing him while I was watching Sophie up on the big screen interact with her would-be dads. I guess the pain will go away, but hopefully my memories of the good times with my dad won't.

On a COMPLETELY different note, I found out yesterday (and it was confirmed today) that I will have my own classroom for this school year! I had resigned myself to the fact that I would be sharing a room and traveling to different rooms to teach. I had even set up a mini-classroom in the garage to house all of my stuff that I will need this year but wouldn't be taking with me. NOW I have to pack all of that stuff back up, find boxes, and haul all of it to school with me next week. If I had known this, I would have done all of that this week! Yikes! It doesn't look like my room will be perfect for the first day of school--there is no way I can do all of that between now and when school actually begins. Wish me luck!!

4 comments:

Kodi Logan said...

I wish I could have gone with you to the movie. I still haven't seen it and it is by far my all time favorite broadway show. I've heard that it's just as good as broadway with the exception of Pierce Brosnan's singing. :)

I'm sorry you are missing you are dad so much. It's funny how those moments hit you.

Congrats on the classroom. I can't believe you start all the fun next week. I have one week left and Em and I plan on living it up!!!!!! When does your school actually start?

April said...

We start on the 18th, but I literally have two weeks of meetings!! New teachers meet next week, then all teachers are back the next one.

Yeah, Pierce's was the worst of the bunch, but he did have a good part in "The Winner Takes It All." Meryl and the daughter were really good!!

bonnie said...

I can't believe you start with meetings tomorrow!!! We still need to get together. I will call you tomorrow and see what we can figure out. :)

April said...

No kidding! I'm finished with the meeting at 3 pm, and then I'm going to my school to unload my first load. I'll be at the school everyday after my meetings to get my room in order. You can come help me if want!!!! I'm free next weekend for sure--if you want to do lunch or something. (I really want to see Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2.)