Friday, October 31, 2008

Books galore

Since my last post, quite a bit has gone on, but nothing that I thought deserved a MAIN post because who really wants to read about school? It seems that's the only thing in my life right now. Let's see... since my last post, my mom has come to visit. We had a great time shopping and eating! Of course, she loved seeing and spending time with her granddog, Soze, more than she actually did us. That's okay--anything to get her up here!
I have read three (and almost four!) books in the last month. My reading seems to go in shifts. I will go forever without really reading an entire book, but since I force my kids to read on a regular schedule, it also forces me to read with them. I have read Eat Pray Love, a book about finding yourself when all hope is gone.

This memoir by Elizabeth Gilbert was beautifully written, although to me, the middle dragged a bit. It's a true story of her year-long purge after a divorce. She travels to Italy (EAT), then to India and lives in an ashram (PRAY), and finally makes her way to Ubud, Bali where she meets the man who becomes her husband (LOVE). Like I said, this book was fantastic and I know the author has been on Oprah. I need to search Youtube and find the clip! When I went to the author's website for a picture of the book, I noticed it said that the movie rights had been sold for a film to star Julia Roberts. I thought I was going to fall out of my chair when I read that! The entire time I was reading this book, the woman in my mind looked just like Julia! I'm still in shock--those things never work out!

My next literary venture was the newest Nicholas Sparks novel, The Lucky One. Those that know me know that Sparks is my all-time favorite "chug down a book" guy. He's one that I can read in a weekend and be totally satisfied. This newest book did not dissappoint. I'll admit that this was the first one that did not make me cry, but I think it was because I had cried so much seeing "Nights in Rodanthe", his newest movie, that I was all cried out. Plus, this book held so much more action at the end than his usual ones do that I was surprised by the ending. This one was totally unpredictable for me!

Once I finished The Lucky One, I finally got my hands on Twilight. OH MY GOD!!!! I know the kids, mostly girls, have been reading this series like crazy, and I used to think, "eh, how good can it be? It's about VAMPIRES, for crying out loud!" Well, the Twilight craze has caught up to me. Once I started reading about Bella and Edward, which by the way, Isabella is now my new favorite baby girl name, I just couldn't stop. I literally could not put the book down! I was reading in class while the kids were reading, I was reading in the car while I was stopped at a red light, and I read it home until I finished. I think I read the book in 3 days. Now I have started New Moon and will continue this series until I'm spent. It is killing me to know what happens!!!! Funny as it may sound for those who haven't read it yet, I totally want the chick to become a vampire just so the two who were MEANT to be together can actually be together. I know--this is what my life has become! I'm rooting for vampires!! Not only that, but I have told Todd (I gave him no options on this one--thanks Hon!) that he and I will be at the movie theater when "Twilight" opens November 21st. No ifs, ands, or buts. I have only seen the trailer once, but I don't care. I will be there, and I just hope that the powers that be have done the book justice. I'm sure I'll blog more about my addiction to this series as I read. If not, I'll wait until I'm finished and then give you the low-down. I plan to be finished with the series by the movie's release. I don't think that will be too difficult considering it's been 4 days now, and I'm in the middle of book two.

4 comments:

Kodi Logan said...

Wow girl. I wish I could get that much reading on my life's list right now. It always seems to take the back burner. Have you read The Shack yet? You must!

April said...

No, but I do have it written down on my list. I need to check to see if it's an AR book--I have to keep up with my kids on AR points and the Twilight series will put me ove the top of most of them. VICTORY!

Kodi Logan said...

I forgot to mention that The Color Purple had LaToya London in it from season 3 of American Idol. She was one of the 3 divas...Fantasia, Jennifer Hudson, & LaToya. Do remember her? She played Netty. Did a fantastic job!!!!

bonnie said...

I'm so excited you caught the fever for Twilight as well. Not bragging - but to show you my obsession - I read the entire series in less than a week (no sleep).
It makes me so excited when others read it and enjoy it.

I need to look at your last comment to me, I forget when it is that band is coming that you needed someone to see it with. Text or call me about that stuff.