Wednesday, December 10, 2008

24 hour fitness and Bodybugg

After deciding that I wanted to join the land of the living (my new catch phrase) once again, I joined another group as well--the 24-hour Fitness club just 10 minutes from my house. I figured I needed to get my butt off of the couch and do something about my 1) fat and 2) ZERO energy level. Literally, I could come home every day from school and just go to bed. I am only 30 years old people! How terrible is that?? I now have no excuse for not going to work out at least 3 days a week. I drive by the fitness club on my way home from work if get off at the first exit instead of the last one. I've been three times so far and I do enjoy myself while I'm there. I'm not terribly adept at running any of the machines so far, but I'm hoping when I meet with Shelly, my personal trainer, again on Friday, she will show me the ropes. We met today for the first time, and she went through my personal program with me. I logged on to the myapex.com website and set up a username and password. According to my body numbers, I need to take in 1500 calories a day and burn an average of 1000 calories a day to equal a 2 pound weight loss each week. Sounds tough? I thought so! One of my thoughts today as I was walking up an imaginary hill on the treadmill was, "at least I am getting my butt off of the couch and burning more calories here than sitting in front of the TV." My goal is to go on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturday mornings, plus do one class a week. They offer some pretty cool classes--water aerobics (I may be the youngest in the group!), spinning (sounds really hard!), 24SETS (steps and weights), and my personal favorite, Zumba. Zumba is offered on Thursday nights and it's supposed to be a latin dance class. I may try this next week after Survivor is over. I know, I know, I am supposed to be getting off of the couch, but come on! It's the final week and I figure I need to start slow.

One thing I REALLY want is the Bodybugg. This is the little gadget that all of the contestants on "The Biggest Loser" wear on their arms.

This thing tracks every calorie burned while you have it on. The only time you take it off is when you get wet and when you are sleeping. My trainer was telling me about it today--you track your calories eaten on the website, plug in the numbers from the Bodybugg as calories burned, and Viola! You can see if you have a surplus or hopefully a deficit. Now here's the catch--this little thing costs $199. Once you buy it, it comes with a 6-month web access to do all of the uploading, etc., then you have to purchase additional time. I think it's $99 for a year. It sounds steep, but it may be worth it to physically see how much you are burning vs. taking in. I would totally wear it, but the hard part will be tracking my food online. I have hard enough time getting online every day to check my email, blog, etc. Now I'd have one more thing to add to the mix. My hope is that once I start exercising in a routine, my energy level will boost and I'll actually feel like staying up that extra 10-15 minutes to do what I need to do on here.

I know I sound like I'm rambling, but I'll close with a a plea. If anyone wants to donate to the "April wants a Bodybugg" fund, feel free!

3 comments:

Kodi Logan said...

Way to go girl! Hey, that bodybugg thing looks really cool, but YIKES!!!!! That is steep! I think you really need to invest in DVR so you don't have to worry about missing your shows. I know they are all coming to an end right now, but Idol will be on shortly!

bonnie said...

I just joined 24 hour fitness (again) too. I like it there. I LOVE the water aerobics - even if you are the youngest one, I did it for a long time and plan to start it up again. Good luck and way to go!

Kodi Logan said...

Hey, how's it all going? I haven't heard from you in a really long time!