Monday, July 12, 2010

A Girls' Day Out with Michael Buble


My good friend, Michelle, and I had been looking forward to our Girls's Day Out for many months. I think we bought our Michael Buble tickets back in February, and the day had finally come at the end of June. Our day began at Olive Garden for lunch--soup and salad and a VERY tart lemonade drink that made my eyes bulge out of my head and my tastebuds somersault on my tongue.


The day continued with pedicures at the mall in Overland Park. Since they couldn't get us in right away, we took ourselves down to NY&Co for some shopping--30 minutes, a new credit card and two cute dresses later, we were on our way back to get our pedicures.


Since orange is my new favorite color, that made my nail color choice easy! (Notice no mole on my toe? I had it removed back a few months ago--PAINFUL as anything I've had done, but now my feet are so cute!)

We raced out of the mall to make it to our massage appointments. I thought we were going for a stress-free one-hour massage that was going to make me love life and feel invigorated for the concert. Ummm...NO NO NO! Instead, I was pulled, pushed, squeezed, and even bruised by my lovely massage therapist Hilda. (Her name was something nicer, but she should have been named this after the torture she put me through.)
 I had never had a swedish massage before and didn't know that the Sweds were into this kind of pain! The best part, other than the end, was the stretching. She did stretch my arms and legs into positions I thought I could only do in yoga. When we left, we were both sore and bruised but ready for dinner at Cheddar's with our friends--Kelly from Boston and the other April :)

Naturally 7 was the group that opened up for Michael Buble, and although I had never heard of them before, they brought the house down! This talented group of seven calls what they do Vocalplay rather than Acapella. They "play" instruments with their voices and sing as well. If you watch the video below (be sure to mute the music at the bottom), you'll see what I mean. Notice no instruments--just air drums, air guitar, air bass, etc. You'll also have to turn your head to the side because I filmed the video with the camera turned and have no idea how to flip it around so it plays rightside up. :)





Michael Buble, my other boyfriend, performed a much better show than even I was prepared for! He was funny, sang all his hits plus one that I fell in love with called "Best of Me", and even embodied Michael Jackson before the night was over. That was one of the highlights, as well as becoming Ferris Bueller for the famous parade float scene. Michael was so charming, and he made the giant arena feel like a more intimate show somehow. Some of the songs he and his band performed were Cry Me a River, Mack the Knife, Crazy Love, For Once in my Life, Home, Feeling Good (one of my faves!), and of course, I Just Haven't Met You Yet.

As you can tell from the pictures, our seats were WAY up in the air. Next time he comes to town, I don't care how much the tickets are, I will be on the floor up close and personal. Michelle and I both will be!

This is the video of Michael B becoming Michael M. (Sorry for the loud scream--a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do--and sideways video.)


I was saddened to see the show and night end, but I will always have this memory.

3 comments:

Hayley Fraser said...

How fun! I love the "scream" in the video and your disclaimer: "a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do." Cute. I'll be seeing both Lady Gaga and Jack Johnson this summer! I'm not quite the concert-goer you are so this is big!

April said...

I'm sure both of those shows will be good. I used to like Lady Gaga, and I'm sure she puts on a great show, but I'm just over her now I guess. Now Jack Johnson is one I'd love to see as well! Have fun!!

bonnie said...

I loved this concert. Thanks for putting it up - my pics will be up soon enough. My mom took vid. but I'm not sure if it came out or not. The floor is the way to see him! I will be seeing him every time he comes to town!