Thursday, April 14, 2011

Change of scenery

"Change brings opportunity. "
Nido Qubein


This is the sentiment I'm taking with me next year when I begin my new teaching position at Lee's Summit West High School as a Reading and English teacher. While this last week has had complete ups and downs emotionally, I feel as if this move is for the best for my career. Countless people, including administrators, have told me that I will never be a full-time Reading teacher here in this district. They just don't have the resources. I know all districts are strapped for money, but Lee's Summit has stepped up and said that they don't want their students falling through the cracks due to their reading abilities. This is what I went to school for, and I'm so happy that I will have this opportunity. I absolutely HATE the idea of leaving my kids and friends that I've met, but I know kids are kids and will be great at my new school. I also know that I will make new friends and meet up my current friends for some much-needed happy hours and get-togethers. :)


A new school means a new school mascot, colors, clothes, etc. I do love these colors!
On one note, I will usher out this year as a Bear and will come in to the new school year as a Titan. This also means I will have to move...again. Hmmm...this will be my 9th classroom in 12 years. I should probably be a master at classroom moving by now, but it never gets old. I guess I will have to just have my summer school kids help me at the end. Maybe I'll offer them extra credit!! :)


Thanks for all your "good luck"s and "go get 'em"s! I needed it, and I did!


Thanks!!

5 comments:

Kodi Logan said...

So proud of you! I wish I could be like you. I would like to consider a possible move, but I'm so comfortable where I am. I don't do well with big change. So, I will stay where I am...making pitiful money and stressed out beyond belief. Maybe one day, I can be brave like you!

Hayley Fraser said...

I was just going to check in this afternoon to see what you decided...and I see! Congrats. You will be an awesome addition to their staff, the kids will love you and your 9th classroom will rock. JoAnn decided to take a leave and not come back next year so we've got some shifting in our department, too. And lots of retirements: D. Dick, Fielding, Bylander, Nancy Walker...

April said...

Thanks to you both! I'm very nervous, but I figured I've started over before, and I can do it again. :) Every change so far has brought about greatness, so I'm up for anything. (At least that's what I'm telling myself for now...)

And wow! JoAnn's leaving? I can't believe the others are retiring. Lots of big shoes to fill.

bonnie said...

I'm so happy for you! Congrats! I still have a month before I can make my announcement. But I too believe change is good!

scowger21 said...

Congrats on your new job!!!