Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Bad baby news

I'm sure all of you know that Todd and I have been trying to have a baby for some time now. I have been off the pill since March 2000, but we have only really just been "actively" trying since March 2006. That's when I had surgery to remove several cysts from both ovaries and my uterus. Well, since then, I have been taking daily medication, seeing my GYN about 3-5 times each month for ultrasounds, checkups, get more meds, get my monthly shot, etc. I have been doing all of this in the hopes that someday a baby would come.

Todd and I have had a little setback. I actually don't know how major or minor this setback will be, but it is one nonetheless. Monday night around 1:07 am (I remember the time distinctly!!), I woke up to go to the bathroom. As soon as I stepped out of bed, I doubled over in the most severe pain I have ever felt. I just felt like my ovaries/uterus had just exploded inside! I couldn't walk, lay down, sit, recline, anything. Todd wanted to take me to the emergency room, but I wanted to wait it out. I am tired of paying for all these medical bills--I didn't want to add an ER trip to the total! I did call the Dr.'s office and talked to the on-call nurse. She basically told me to either come into the ER or wait until morning to call the Dr. Thanks lady--I could have figured that out by myself!!

Todd gave me some aleve and it helped the pain go away after 45 min-1 hour. The next morning, I woke up okay, no real cramping, just slightly "like any other time of the month" cramping. I called the Dr. and talked to his nurse. Long story short--I went in today for a check-up and another ultrasound. As soon as he looked at the ultrasound screen, he knew what the problem was. I had 3 "sizeable" cysts on my right ovary. I'm not sure what the numbers really are, but I know they like my follicles to be between 17-20 for ovulation. These cysts were around 44. They were huge!! One took up almost the entire screen! He wants me to take it very easy over the next week or so, then go back on birth control pills until the cysts are back down to a normal size. When he said that, I about cried!! I haven't been on BC in so long.

I just feel like Todd and I back to square one--even worse that square one! Even thinking about it just makes me want to give up, but I am not a quitter. I may quit other things--diets, for one, but I will not quit on this! Just keep your fingers crossed (and if you want to say a little prayer) that these will come back down and not get any worse. Sorry for rambling--once I started, I couldn't stop.

5 comments:

Kodi Logan said...

Oh April. Why didn't you call me girl. I'm so sorry. I can't believe you haven't felt any other discomfort until that one night. Why hadn't they noticed these honkers on the ultrasound before now? Maybe this is just all part of the process. I'm sorry though. I know it's not the news you wanted to hear!

April said...

I actually thought of calling you on Monday night. Todd wanted me to call you to see if you had any ideas on what to do, but I couldn't call you at 1 am! The last time I had an ultrasound these things were normal size, so just within the last 3 weeks or so have they ballooned up. I have to call the dr. today and get my birth control prescription. I will definitely keep you informed on what's going on.

Kodi Logan said...

you can call me at anytime girl! can they just take that one ovary? i would think that would allow you to keep on kicking with the baby plans. Jennifer had cole on 1 ovary. did i tell you she's having a hysterectomy on Dec. 20th?

April said...

No! Is she having more problems or is it related to her earlier problems? Sometimes I think my life would so much easier if I had one, but then I think about no babies if I did that. Todd and I are so ready for one--even he is really upset about this setback. THe good news is that I go back to the Dr. on Friday--hopefully the cysts will be gone then. I will get off the birth control, then we will just wait until my cycle begins to try again.

Kodi Logan said...

No, this isn't related. She is so full of endometriosis that it has attatched to her colon and rectum. It's worked its way into muscles and is working its way down her leg. She is in pretty bad shape. They are going to try to save the one ovary she has left to keep her from going into menopause so soon. They aren't sure if they can save it yet or not. She will be in the hospital for 3-4 days and then will miss 8 weeks or more of work.