Thursday, June 14, 2007

Florida--here I come!


A teacher friend, Lisa, and I are leaving on Saturday to go to Walt Disney World for a Scholastic Lexile Reading conference. I hope I learn a lot because I am going to need it for next year. Of course, I am excited to go to the conference, but the fact that this conference is IN WDW just thrills me to my toes! I actually get to stay ON site (pictured to the left) at Coronado Springs, which Todd and I have never done, and the cool thing is I don't have to pay for any of it! Yea me! Todd is a green-eyed monster right now, but he'll get over it. After all, we are going back in July for our family vacation, so he can't be too bitter.


I did find out yesterday that I may be in for several surprises next school year. We are implementing a Freshmen Academy program for those incoming 9th graders who definitely need some help. These are students who have already been identified as being dropout candidates. Most of them failed nearly all of their classes last year as an 8th grader, and they are just biding their time until they turn 16 and can legally drop out of school. Well, I will have this lovely bunch of 24 students (15 boys, 9 girls) for 1st hour Reading, 2nd hour Integrated Science (as a reading resource), and then again 1st hour for English in the spring. WOW! Let's hope we all learn to love each other b/c we will be together the entire year! Our school social worker is going to try to get this group together before school starts in August to go through the Army ropes course. I have never done this, and to be honest, it scares me a little, but I really, really want to be a part of this training so I can bond with my kiddos. I envision "Dangerous Minds" and "Freedom Writers" when I think about this particular group. I know that we will be celebrating the little successes throughout the course of the year. "You came to school all 5 days this week! Awesome! Let's party!" Who knows how this year will turn out and I often think I am in wayyyyy over my head, but I have faith that I can help at least one of these guys. When August rolls around, I may be asking you all to pray for me! I may be begging for help!


Since I am leaving on Saturday, this will probably be my last post until I come back. I will have lots of news (hopefully) from WDW! I will tell Mickey that you all said hello!

3 comments:

Kodi Logan said...

ok, i'll just come right out and say it, "I'M SO JEALOUS!" I'm probably more green-eyed than Todd, b/c at least he knows you are going in July. I keep thinking my turn will come...2009...that sounds way too far away. Give Mickey a kiss for me and ride all those crazy rides for me too! Cause even when I go back, I'll have a little one to cater too. :) I can't wait to see all the pics. When are you coming home? Don't forget about Chalk. Did you get the forward about teacher appreciation at the landers and chalk ticket prices for teachers?

April said...

I didn't receive that email. For some reason, your emails aren't coming through to me like they used to. I haven't forgotten though. I really want to see this movie! I bet it will be hysterical and only teachers will truly understand it. Try sending that email again if you can.

Hayley Fraser said...

Hey roomie...I went up to the school after Writing Project on Wednesday, I think, to check out 204 and whoa, that whole entire place is a DISASTER! I will be shocked if any of my crap makes it to where it is supposed to be. The custodian (I didn't recognize him) had his ghetto blaster cranked to the max so his rockin' country music could be heard all over the second floor...I ran. I was struck by how much school and your work dominates your blog--you are so dedicated and I will miss spending my days laughing with you and watching you teach. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your pedicure--I do know the scraping and scratching can be a bit off putting, but I just love the way my feet feel afterwards. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've painted my own toenails in over 5 years, at least. I have always wanted the razoring, though, so I might have to try your place. Maybe when you get over the initial shock of this one you will want to go back and we could hang out one day. After seeing you at Kathy's shower and our discussion about "tests" I am wondering if your visitor arrived or what...do tell.

Hayley