Monday, July 14, 2008

Racing...Baseball...Family...what I love about summer

Ahhh, summer...how do I love thee? Let me count the ways:

1)I don't have to get up early in the morning! I have been able to sleep in most mornings since school let out, and while I am loving it now, I know it will come back to bite me later when school begins again. (Sleeping in = Staying up late = Sleeping in = Staying up later--Are you seeing a pattern??)

2)I can scrapbook as much as I want. Of course, it would be easier if my scrapbook room was ready to use, but since it's not, I have taken over the living room. I actually got quite a bit finished this past week--I've been working on our Disney album from LAST summer, and I think I am halfway done. I will post pictures on here perhaps later this week.

3) Drag racing at Topeka usually signifies the beginning of summer. This year I tagged along with Todd and his dad for the first time and LOVED it! I know I have blogged about this already, so I'll make it short and sweet. Just look at my favorite driver Dave Connelly!! Isn't he yummy? I know it's hard to tell from the picture, but I know he was just as happy to see me as I was to see him.

One of my favorite things to do, as you already know, is take pictures. I love playing with the settings on my camera, and I have wanted to take this shot now for a long time. While I don't remember the exact settings, I know I slowed the shutter speed way down to 1/30th of a second or so. When the cars took off, I followed them with the camera. Voila! A blurry crowd, and a (semi) clear race! 4)Todd and I took his parents to see the Cardinals play when they came to town at Kauffman Stadium. Albert Pujols is Todd's favorite player, so we tried to get there early enough in hopes of getting his autograph. No such luck--no one is giving out autographs, but we were standing close enough during batting practice for me to get this shot. During this game, I didn't get any close-ups of my boy Yadier Molina.

5)It's been tradition for several years now for my family to get together over the 4th of July. We usually go see Firefall in Springfield and just spend some good quality time together. Over the past two years our plans have changed due to Mother Nature. Because of the early rain and subsequent fields o' mud, Firefall was pushed back to Sunday this year. Did that stop us from having fun? No! We went bowling instead!! I love to bowl, and Todd and I don't do it as much as we'd like, but when the family gets together, it's a blast! I wanted this picture below because that's my nephew Adam who just turned 21 this past March. We were supposed to meet up in Memphis shortly after his birthday, but he couldn't make it. I never got to buy him his first "adult" drink! At least I made up for it a bit--we both had drinks at the bowling alley! I can't believe how grown-up he is at last! Notice how white I am??

I am sure there are more than five reasons I love summer, but for now, I'll leave with my favorite picture of the fireworks at Firefall 2008.





No comments: